I’ve heard a lot of speeches and presentation about passion. You must be passionate, passion is the key, passion is everything, etc. While I don’t discount the power of passion, I actually believe it’s tremendously important, I don’t think many people ever discover it, let alone learn how to direct it and focus it properly.
Once you have accurately defined the where and why of your passion, you must put it to use by directing it in a way that keeps you sharp and on top of things.
Here are 10 ways to know you are staying sharp by directing your passion:
1. Staying sharp means you are so pumped up about what you do, you think about it constantly. How to improve it and make it better. You think about it when you go to bed and when you first wake up.
2.Staying sharp means you have to know your stuff cold when you are in a meeting about what you do and you are committed to learn everything you have to know and then some to have a complete edge.
3. Staying sharp means that you are totally confident you can fail, take some lessons away, back up a bit and take another run at it.
4. Staying sharp means that while a lot of people may think you are totally off and maybe half crazy, you don’t give one care to what they think or say, because you know you are doing the right thing.
5. Staying sharp means you know exactly what you need to do in a healthy way to blow off some steam in order to get re-focused on your passion as quickly as possible.
6. Staying sharp means you know exactly what you want in life, you have your goals set and you are making forward progress each week, while treating people with respect and fairness along the way.
7. Staying sharp means you can call B.S. with someone when you need to, because you have done your homework and you recognize a wrong turn when you see it.
8. Staying sharp means you recognize when you make a mistake, but you keep a strong promise to yourself that you will never let that happen again.
9. Staying sharp means you are so good at what you are passionate about, you can identify, process and fix problems before most even know they are there.
10.Staying sharp means while everyone else is talking about stuff that doesn’t matter in the big scheme of things, you are bored with this talk, because you yearn to talk about what you are working on.