A couple of weeks ago best-selling business author Jim Collins, author of such books as “Built to Last’, “Good to Great, “How the Mighty Have Fallen” and “Great by Choice” keynoted the Fortune Leadership Summit in Atlanta, GA.
Here is a Top 10 list he shared at the end of his session for high growth companies. Some of these terms are explained further in Jim’s books and we talk about them in some of articles here on the Clear Vision site.
Here’s the list:
1. Change your “WHAT” questions to “WHO” questions
2. Double your question to statement ratio
3. Embrace the “Stockdale Paradox” (from Good to Great)- keep getting up when you are knocked down.
4. Discover your own “Hedgehog Concept” (from Good to Great)- what are you passionate about and can be the best at
5. Get super clarity on your Purpose, Values and BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Goal) (from Built To Last)
6. Establish a 20-Mile March (from Great By Choice)
7. Create a “Stop Doing” List
8. Turn-off electronic gadgets one day every two weeks (We just wrote about that this past week!)
9. Focus on getting a huge return on your next “luck event”
10. Strive to be useful (would the world miss you/your company if you were gone?)